Sunday, May 9, 2010

A letter

To my dear sweet children:

Hey guys? What's up? What is the 411? Tell me all the hot gossip. Ok, I know you two are 7 and 5 months, respectively. So your version of hot gossip is that so-and-so got in trouble and had to sit out at PE and that your feet are yummy. Respectively.

Ok, so it's mother's day and I wanted to talk about you. And me. I will address each of you individually and then collectively.

S- my first child, my rough and tumble sweet boy with a huge heart. We have definitely had our ups and downs in these last four years (4? Where did the time go?) but now we seem to have worked out a balance between each other. I've learned more than I've ever thought I could from being your stepmom. Thank you for loving me when I was being evil, for making me laugh when all I wanted to do was cry. Even, thank you for forcing me to play the wii when I just wanted to read a book. You have so graciously brought me into your inner circle and have loved not only me, but your sister with a fierce loyalty. I can't wait to see what kind of young man you become. Tall (most likely), athletic, musical, with (hopefully) a love of words. I hope you know that you can ALWAYS come to me if/when you have problems. I know I'm not mama and I'm not daddy but as you get older, you might see that as an advantage. But no matter what, always know this: I love you, no matter what. Even when you sing along to Miley Cyrus.

A- my first baby, my happy little precious girl. While your brother has the distinction of being my very first child, you will always be my first baby. You have brought so much joy to my life that I never thought possible. While not always easy, being your mother has most definitely been an adventure. Fun even. You're so happy most of the time (unless your hungry, then you are decidedly Unhappy) I wonder what I did right to deserve you. Like your brother, I look forward to watching you as you grow. However, what I'm looking forward to with you is a little bit different. Instead of wondering what kind of adult you will be, I look forward to watching you walk, hearing your first word (I'll buy you a pony if it's mama), introducing you to all different kinds of food. You think formula is awesome, wait until you try strained carrots! I tell you this every night before I lay you in your crib and I will tell you this now: I love you, to the moon and back.

Now, I have one request for you two. Love each other, hold onto each other. Protect one another. If anyone tries to tell either of you that you aren't "real" siblings, you have my permission to kick them in the shins. You are real siblings because the love you feel for each other is real. I see it in how attentive you are to your sister, S. I see it in the way you light up when your brother plays with you, A. There will come a time when all you have will be each other (and maybe a partner of your choosing or some kids of your own). It's that bond that will carry each of you through the hard times. My siblings are the ones that I married into or the women I choose to make my close friends. You two are lucky to already have each other.

Ok, I lied. I have two requests. Please don't put me in a crappy nursing home. :)

I love both of you, with all my heart,

Mama De

2 comments:

  1. I have always liked being an only child, but facing a life alone (i.e. no husband or kids) after my parents are gone terrifies me. It makes me wish SO much my 2 older sisters had lived. My "sisters" are my 2 best friends. I also need to adopt lots of cats for my "children". :-P I envy you for having a husband and real, non furball children. You won't be alone like me. I am trying to reconcile myself to the idea of dying alone w/ no one to care that I'm gone, but it hasn't happened yet.

    Your kids are definitely "real" siblings. It takes more than blood for that. My youngest cousin (the one in a coma) is adopted, but we all have forgotten that until people wonder if his cancer was genetic. My aunt and uncle have always treated him with the same love as David (my oldest cousin, their biological child). David has helped, protected, loved, and cared for Steve as his brother. Strangely enough, Steve is the only 1 of my cousins I kind of look like. :-P Even my cousin-in-law (David's wife), who has a biological brother she is close with, calls Steve her brother. All 4 of them have been constantly w/ him while he's been in the hospital, only leaving when necessary. Believe me, if they make the choice today to turn off his ventilator, my aunt and uncle will be grieving the loss of THEIR SON....not some other person's kid who just happens to be legally bound to them. I know S & A will be treated as equally as possible, and they will ALWAYS be brother and sister no matter what. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a loving, heart-felt message to your children. I do hope you have printed this for them. I love watching you grow from care-free college girl to nurturing wife and mother.

    And please, tell Renee that 28 is way to young to give up on marriage and children. No way this delightful woman will end up dying alone!

    ReplyDelete