Always read the ingredient list before making something you think is vegetarian.

This is Vegetarian Sloppy Joes. They weren't bad but A LOVED them so they're going in the recipe book because at 2 she has decided there is a very limited amount of food that she will willingly eat. S also ate these as part of leftover night and he liked them as well.
This recipe calls for BBQ sauce. I have a recipe for homemade sauce but haven't made it in a while for no good reason other than I just haven't so I bought some at the store. Now I typically read ingredients to make sure that I can pronounce them and they aren't HFCS.*
What I didn't think to look for was any sort of meat product. Yes, the BBQ sauce had Worcestershire sauce, an ingredient of which is: anchovies. If I had made my own I could have omitted that ingredient and made this dish completely vegetarian!
*Personal choice I made, if you have a different one, good for you and I'm not into debating the merits of that nor of the hypocrisy of me trying to avoid HFCS while drinking Coke Zero on the regular thankyouverymuch.
i think that's a worm sticking out of that burger....
ReplyDeleteYep, I read ingredients all the time too. Worcestershire sauce is one of those sneaky ingredients. Gelatin is too, because I discovered AFTER becoming vegetarian, that gelatin is in marshmallows and even certain gum brands. Oh, and I avoid HFCS and any added sugar too. :-)
ReplyDelete