Here is our second week haul (I know it's a little tardy but whatevs). Same as last week but with the addition of sweet peppers (bell and some other long skinny green thing) and acorn squash. I know! I was surprised to see a typical "winter vegetable" in a summer garden but apparently it's in the same squash family as zucchini and yellow (what we call crook-neck in Texas) squash.
We did the same things to the tomatoes and yellow squash that we did the first week (why mess with perfection, ya know?)
Zucchini- I made zucchini tots one evening to have with leftovers. It was enjoyed by everyone.
Sweet Peppers- I made a philly cheese steak stuffed pepper meal (and I used some onions that way as well)
Acorn Squash- I simply roasted it with salt, pepper, and olive oil. This was not as great as I feel it could've been. I will be researching different things to do with this before I try to make it again.
Potatoes- I used them in a French Potato salad that was vinegrette rather than mayo based (I hate mayo with the fire of a thousand suns)
Eggplant- I roasted them and then pureed them into a dip that we snacked on during the weekend. It went over really well but it was too salty (even for me, I love salt). That was because I substituted the tahini paste (because HELLO, it was too big and too expensive to only use about a tablespoon) with canned chickpeas and didn't adjust the salt content.
We again had leftover onions not because we don't like them but because E doesn't like the texture.
The cucumbers went bad before we could eat them but I did learn to refrigerate them (duh) to make them last longer. Also, some of the potatoes went bad as well and I couldn't figure out for the life of me why. Then I was cleaning up the kitchen and it hit me: the sink sprayer also sprays the bowl behind the sink which puts water in the slightly opened bag of potatoes which creates an environment rich for spoilage. Lesson learned!

No comments:
Post a Comment