So I put in my two weeks on Friday and I don't have another job.
I know. Surprising, right? How did we get here?
I'm assuming that all of you know where I work and what I do. Any lurkers (do I have any?) who don't know me personally will just have to guess. Nana Nana Boo Boo.
Here's what I've been telling people: E got a really nice bonus (which is true) which would allow me to stay home with Audrey for up to six months and naturally being the Most Awesome Mother Ever I jumped at the chance.
Here's the real story: I had been experiencing some "challenges" in the work place regarding my family time. Friday morning I received a Not Very Nice Correspondence from a superior which instantly made me cry. At 6:30am. Before coffee. While feeding my daughter. So I sent back an Honest Reply. Maybe a little too honest (I won't repeat it here because it would give away the type of work I do).
I called E still crying and he gently reminded me that if I chose to walk away that he would support me 100%. I hung up the phone and ran through the excuses in my head once again.
"If I quit, they win."
"What about my caseload?"
"This is exactly what everyone expects me to do."
"I'm just another statistic in this organization."
My reply?
"So. What."
This was a long time coming. I was told by a superior that we all have to make sacrifices with our families in order to work here. In fact, she said, she was missing her daughter's school awards ceremony that day. I told her that I understood about sacrifices. That I had no desire to be team mom, soccer mom, homeroom mom, or helicopter mom. But I refused to miss the big stuff.
I tendered my resignation at 9:00am. My last day is 04/09. At 5:30pm on April 9 I report to my new full-time bosses. Audrey and me.
Honestly, I feel better than I have in a long time. I can take the time and really look for a job that allows me to do what I love (help others) AND allows me to be with my family on a regular basis. Even if that means folding sweaters at the Gap.
Truth be told, I'm also a little nervous. I enjoyed getting out every day. I liked the TYPE of work that I did, it just didn't jive with wanting to spend time with my family. Audrey enjoyed going to daycare. I enjoyed being a busy working mom.
But most importantly, it is what's best for our family, which is my top priority. And it allows me to find the RIGHT job. A place where I can make a career, which is an added bonus.
I just hope I'm ready.
You can do it! My mom had to quit her part-time job near the later part of her pregnancy w/ me due to needing bed rest and gestational diabetes (this was hard, since my dad had been laid off around the same time and was on unemployment for about a yr). She didn't take another job until I was 3, and it was part-time work from home (she may have gone back to her pre-me job a little while my dad was unemployed...can't remember, obviously. I know they had to borrow money from both sets of my grandparents though, but they paid it back). The pay was lousy, but she was able to care for me and the typical "housewife" stuff (except for cooking...she hates to do it, and my dad loves to, so she just warms up left overs and opens cans :-P My dad and I do the rest. Her sole contribution to Thanksgiving this yr was putting ice in the glasses). We were certainly far from rich, but we always got by somehow, and my mom was there when I needed her. In fact, I wish I had been able to spend more time w/ my dad like that, since he would come home from work, maybe fix some food, and watch TV until he fell asleep. Actually, he still does this. Although as a working girl myself now, I understand. Anyway, I'm glad you were able to do this, and I hope you find something more compatible when the time is right. You know, there's always Mary Kay :-)
ReplyDelete