Tuesday, April 27, 2010

On friends

As in, I have none. Oh, I have them. I have loads of them. They just live far away. Or don't have children of their own. I'm talking about being friends with other mamas. I need mamas with similar aged children near my home to make friends with.

I've tried to make friends with other mamas at daycare. They are Unfriendly. Sad. The whole MOPS (stands for something I can't remember) is out (sorry mama). I'm sure we'd get along fine until I happened to casually mention that E and I have an egalitarian relationship or that I feel that as long as everyone is a consenting adult, I don't care WHO you marry. Then it would be all over but the crying.

So I'm trying meet-up groups. Part of me is worried that they're all 40-something pervs who are sitting in beanbag chairs naked eating Cheetos.

Meet up group number one seemed promising. It was for "young" mamas in the town just north of me. This town is very nice, very upscale, very chic. Probably not the type of place I would fit in. Still, in my head I'm very stylish, have lost all the baby weight and don't spend my days at home in my husbands t-shirt and a pair of pj pants. I applied and, nothing. Over one week and counting of nothing. Well fine. I didn't want to join your group anyways. The organizer of the group is 24 and has a tryndee baby name. Hmph. Call me when you don't wear makeup to the gym.

Group number two is moms in my direct area. They seemed fairly normal. I applied, and was accepted the same day! They have three upcoming meet-ups. I might lurk at the library tomorrow since they're attending toddler story time, just to make sure they're not all 40-something pervs.

Is it weird to be nervous?

1 comment:

  1. Wish I could help you out w/ this one, because I have a number of friends who gave birth just before or a month or so after you, but they don't even live near me, much less you. :-( Not to mention, I love you and all, but getting pregnant and moving to TX right now weren't in my immediate future plans (although I did miss taking the pill like 3 times last week. It is a REALLY good thing I'm not having sex w/ anyone!). :-P I hope you get to make some mommy friends!

    ReplyDelete