Thursday, August 11, 2011

Your kid is a buzz kill already

We had some family in town last weekend and we went to a big waterpark near our house. E and S have season passes but A and I don't because she's a little young for the water park. But we all went on Sunday.

A and I stayed in the little kiddie area. The pool was about 1ft deep and had slides. A loves slides but they're still a 2 parent job: one to help her up the stairs, 1 to meet her at the bottom. Like I said, I thought she might be a little young for the waterpark.

But they had this floating alligator (crocodile?) that she liked to sit on and then slide herself down into the water. She was having fun and I was enjoying her playing in the water. Then the fun sucker shows up.

Enter this little tow-headed kid, probably 3 years old, who informs me in a smug little voice that you're "not allowed to jump off the alligator." Now I'm sure that rule is most likely true for say, myself or older kids. But the lifeguards had seen us and nary a whistle had been blown. So I just smiled and said ok and went on with entertaining the girl.

Eventually we tired of the alligator (crocodile?) and she decides that she wants to sit on the side wall and have me "help" (read: do all the work) her jump off. No sooner had we done then when who decides to show up? If you guessed Little Lord Fun Ruiner, you would be right. He once again eagerly informs me that "you're not supposed to jump off the sides." I looked around for a parent that might belong to him and found his dad standing close enough to hear his little killjoy play pool police.

So I look at the little party-pooper and say (loud enough for his dad to hear), "Well, sweetie, that's up to the life guards to decide so if they tell me to quit then I will. Otherwise, stop telling me what I can and can't do in the pool."

I would've gone on further but he ran off. It's a shame though, I had much more to say. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment