Thursday, July 28, 2011

I has a question

I have a wedding ring. This is not a shocker. My wedding ring is very special to me. It's more than just a ring my husband gave to me on the day I officially became his wife. It's also the ring my grandfather gave my grandmother. They had been married several years before she got this ring, as they were poor and didn't have money for such things. My grandfather wrote her a beautiful letter extolling her virtues and ended it with a beautiful poem. She died 4 months before I was born. My grandfather gave my mother the ring to one day give to me.

E and I had our wedding rings inscribed with a line from the poem. I am planning on one day giving it to A, who shares a middle name with my grandmother.

The ring has always fit a little snug (I guess small fingers run in my family) but with pregnancy, my fingers swelled so much that I couldn't even get it on my hand. Now that I have returned to As Normal As I'm Ever Going To Be After Having a Baby, I know this ring will never fit me again, in my current state.

Which is where you all come in.

I recently had my engagement ring stretched out. It was affordable, took about a week, and I'm so glad I did it. I asked about my wedding ring. I explained its age (40+) and its significance in my life. The perky sales girl assured me it was do-able. A google search tells me it's not advisable. If this ring broke, not only is it irreplaceable, I would be devastated. But I would rather have that ring than another one.

Would you risk it? Or would you just put it away somewhere special and look into getting another wedding ring?

5 comments:

  1. I'd talk to an actual jeweler and not a salesperson before I made any decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. And get recs for a reputable one. I'd stay away from the places like in the mall ;).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would talk with a jeweler and if advised not to stretch it,I would get a new ring for my hand and wear that one around my neck on a chain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad needed his ring made bigger, so he took my grandma's wedding band, my grandpa's wedding band, and I think his grandpa's and grandma's and had them all melted together w/ his (even though I think there was a date inscribed on 1 of them). It changed the state of all of the rings, but now his ring is made up of many, and it is very special. Obviously you don't want to do that w/ the inscription.

    After my grandpa died, my grandma wore his wedding ring on a necklace every day. That may be weird to you, but you'd still be wearing it, and it wouldn't have to be made larger. Or.....leave the ring as is and save it for Audrey, then have a whole new ring made for you for Christmas or your anniversary or VD or something. You'd have your special ring still whole, and you'd also have a new wedding ring to wear that is purely your own. Maybe get one of those that fits around your engagement ring?? My dad wanted me to have my grandma's engagement ring after she died, but it didn't fit me right, so he had the band made into a ruby ring for my mom (which now doesn't fit her right, but ruby is my birthstone, so it represents my grandma and I, so she isn't sure if she should change it somehow either). I have the diamond set on a brand new ring my dad had made for me (the white gold ruby ring w/ the diamond in the middle I wear all the time....I got it in college). Although I don't have my grandma's ring intact, I have the diamond, so I think of her every day when I see it, but it is also a special ring from my daddy. On my right hand, I wear a ring that has my other grandmother's tiny engagement diamond in it, but this ring my granddad had made for their 50th anniversary. The band is from 1994, but it is still special. The original band was made into a sapphire ring ("grandma Bob"'s birthstone) in '94. We gave that to Kristi, since it's her birthstone. 1 special ring has now become 2. I don't remember what we did w/ those grandparents' wedding bands... Anyway, there are a lot of options out there. Talk to a good jeweler about them. We use a local, family owned jeweler here in Lakeland. Also, my mom has a cousin whose husband is a jeweler in GA, so we knew we could always e-mail them and get a 2nd opinion on whatever our jeweler was telling us. I could see if my mom could contact them and see what they suggest you do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a tough one!! Hmmm... I'd probably put it on a chain, wear it as a necklace & get another ring. Or not. So hard to decide!

    ReplyDelete