Saturday, June 13, 2009

Saturday Confessional III

Another baby related one. Although if you recently ate, you might want to come back. Just sayin'.

We had to sign a release to our birthing center for them to keep the placenta. Seriously.

I asked my midwife why on earth anyone would want to take it home with them. I mean, seriously, what would you rather take home? A cute, cuddly little babyee or a placenta?

Although the placenta would probably sleep through the night. And the day.....

She told us that some people like to take it home with them and plant it in their gardens. And certain other cultures prefer to eat it.

I know I'm supposed to be a social worker and all for cultural diversity and all that but all I could think was EW.

I may be a little crunchy but I'm not THAT crunchy.

EW.

2 comments:

  1. Some animals eat the placenta. Being Texas and all, I'm a little surprised y'all aren't taking it home and deep-frying it. :-P j/k Somehow I just don't see myself being attached (well, after it plops out and is disconnected from me physically) to the placenta and wanting to take it home. It could always be bronzed though...would make an interesting conversation piece. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deanna you are forgetting your heritage. Don't you remember your Aunt Fanny, who kept your cousin Paul Edward's tonsils in a jar on a shelf in the living room?

    And think of "show and tell" when your child is in kindergarten.......

    ReplyDelete