I am starting a new, occasional series on my blog; about the myths and lies that other parents tell each other and expectant mothers.
I call it: If I have an easy baby, why am I so damn tired: Lies mothers tell.
Myth: Oh, you have such an easy baby!
Truth: The only easy baby is someone elses baby.
Now, I will preface this by saying, I have an easier baby than some other mothers. She rarely cries and if she does she usually has a reason. And that reason is rarely "because I feel like it mom, gosh." She's not snobby when it comes to her formula or types of bottles. She doesn't absolutely HAVE to be held every single waking moment (like right now she's in her bouncer looking like she might want to take a nap, please God.)
However, that does not make her an easy baby. She still wakes up in the middle of the night and lets me know that she would like something to drink, preferably freshly made formula prepared with warm water. She still likes to spit out her pacifier (yes, we ended up doing that) and then cry because she doesn't have it anymore. She still gets easily frustrated during belly time. Did I mention that my own child does not like naptime? And it is easier to get information out of spies than it is to get a burp out of this kid.
On top of that she still depends on one of us to meet her every need all the time. And for most of the day, that falls to me to meet. Ah, the joys of maternity leave.
And when she has these needs, she can't vocalize what exactly it is that she needs. So we play a "fun" guessing game. Oh, I'm getting better at guessing. If it's been a while since last bottle, she's most likely hungry. If her diaper is squishy or smelly she needs a change. If her tummy feels tight she probably has some gas. But sometimes she cries and I have no idea what she wants. Or she's tired and I can't help her.
And that whole REM sleep cycle is the most important? So true. I miss my REM cycle so much.
So no, other mothers, I don't have an "easy" baby. I struggle just like you do. Some parts of the day it's no fun, it's boring, it's tedious. When E gets home I can't give him the baby fast enough because some days I just. need. a. break. But then she smiles, or laughs, or grasps my hand when I'm feeding her and it makes me want to spend more time with her.
But I will close this with a confession: I go back to work next Tuesday (another blog topic). Audrey starts daycare that Monday. Mama needs a real day off.
My favorite thing about babies is that they always belong to someone else, so if they cry, pee, poop, spit up, or pitch a fit, I just hand them back to the parent and go home. And sleep. For 12 hrs. :-) Yes, I'm rubbing it in. :-P My job is to spoil OPK (Other People's Kids) rotten with cute clothes and toys. You KNOW that child of your's is going to get something from Hawaii from me. :-) I might be kind enough to get her mama something too, if the right thing strikes me (like a coconut falling on my head etc..).
ReplyDeleteI love how people always say that - awww you have such a good baby...like is there a such thing as a bad baby? who determines why they are bad? and good for that matter? babies are hard...all of them...for all different reasons! But soooo worth it!!!!
ReplyDeleteI still can't believe you had her on your mom's birthday. And what, pre-tell, is "belly time"?
ReplyDeleteBelly time is when Audrey lays down on her tummy and works on lifting her head up. I lay down with her and read to her. It's supposed to prevent flat head.
ReplyDelete