No joke. I know I've gotten a lot of flack from others :::ahem, mom, ahem::: about going back to work after sweet Audrey was born. I will admit it was tough and in a perfect world I would get to take sweetums to work WITH me everyday. Think about it, me and Audrey, making visits, testifying in court, doing paperwork, I'm sure everyone would love it!
But there are some distinct benefits to working outside the home.
1. Hot coffee. Every morning.
2.Hot lunch. (Almost) every afternoon (if you know my job, you know why I say almost).
3. Interacting with adults every day (Baybee is super smart for sure but she doesn't offer much insight into things that concern us such as the economy and The Duggars)
4. Getting to show off baby pictures. Everyone says she's beautiful!
5. Making a difference. Everyday. Wow, I could almost type that without throwing up in my mouth.
6. My salary helps our family afford things we love. Like our home and going out to eat occasionally and vacations.
7. Complete honesty time: On maternity leave I felt like I was "just a plain old mom." Which is awesome (being a mom) and completely overwhelming. I needed SOMETHING of my old life to hold on to. So I couldn't go out drinking all night and I couldn't just throw myself into work again, working 50+ hour weeks but I could go to work with more healthy boundaries. Which is what I did.*
Is it always worth it? No. Do I miss my baby? Of course. Some days it sucks, some days I just want to put my pj pants back on and watch Food Network with Audrey. But I do it. And like I told my mom if Audrey tells me in 30 years that she hates me for putting her in daycare, that's a risk I'm willing to take. If she tells me that in 15 years I'll just tell her to shut up and go to her room.
But then again, most things aren't ALWAYS worth it. Except eating chocolate. That is always worth it. And I gave up candy for Lent. :/
*I'm so not knocking people who stay home. Since becoming a mama I have the utmost respect for people who do two things I can't: breastfeeding and staying at home.
I don't ever remember anyone in therapy opening with something like 'I just can't get over the fact my parents put me in daycare". Nah. I think you're safe. She's learning social skills! Hooray for those!
ReplyDelete