Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Exercise

Big De was a nickname that started in high school. Not sure how it started but suffice to say it did. What made it hilarious was that at the time I was NOT Big De. I was 5'barely and 98lbs the day I graduated from high school. (side note: Who remembers their school fight song? I do!)

Flash forward a little over 10 years later and I have grown to a very tall (haha) 5'4" and rounded out at closer to 198 than 98.

So what happened?

1. College- home of carb central
2. Drop in metabolism with age
3. Discovery of the joys of alcohol
4. Falling in lurve and the general sloth that accompanies such a gesture
5. Hating to sweat (seriously, I took yoga in college because it was the PE that would make me sweat the least)
6. Discovery of the joys of cooking.
7. Two pink lines
8. Eating like a pregnant woman, even after I gave birth
9. Failing at BF'ing, which was my post-partum weight loss plan
10. Just general all around laziness

There was a time, just before I got pregnant with A that I was working out with E 3-4 times a week after work. We did both weights and cardio (well, I did cardio, he sat in the sauna and called it cardio), with the occasional yoga class thrown in for good measure. But I got pregnant and got nauseous and then got EXHAUSTED to the point where taking a shower would require a nap afterwards.

I had gotten back on track a few weeks ago. We are lucky to have a small gym in our neighborhood that is paid for through our HOA dues. They have 3 weight machines, 3 treadmills, two ellipticals, a stationary bike, and some handweights. I had been going three times a week, doing a little over a mile on the treadmill and then alternating weight machines.

But once again, life got in the way. Le sigh. Now we are busy with football practice for S twice a week, class for E once a week, and with me at home with A all day it's not like I can just leave her here and run up there for 30 minutes or so.

So here's my tentative plan:
1. Eat better. I'm not pregnant, I cannot consume 3,000 calories a day.
2. Exercise on the weekends and the Fridays that E has off.
3. Spend at least one football practice walking around the field.
4. A local mom's group that I'm a part of has strollercize twice a month, I need to attend that.

And here are my goals, in order of importance:
1. Develop a healthier lifestyle, being a good example for my children.
2. Have more energy.
3. Get in some much needed "me time"
4. Lose some weight, if possible*

I'm not going to be weighing myself (our scale is broken), or obsessing over every little thing that goes in my mouth. If I want chocolate, I'll have some, albeit a small piece. If I want a glass of red with my dinner, I'll have a small glass.

I want my kids to have a healthy example in their mom/stepmom. Even if it means embarrassing them by power-walking at their practices.

I'll be checking in periodically with my progress, telling you how my goals are going. Feel free to join me, or if not, at least offer some support!


*this is not a major goal, if it happens, it will be a pleasant side effect.

3 comments:

  1. Yay! I still have a hard time thinking you need to lose weight, but I know how hard it is...I hate exercise too, but I hate not doing it. I missed yesterday from feeling so awful and tired. I will make up for it by going Saturday. I eat very healthy for the most part, but I eat too much, so maybe that's why a full hour (nor hr and 10 mins) of pretty intense cardio on the elliptical doesn't seem to help me lose any weight. At least I haven't gained really though. I guess that will have to do for now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read your blog for the first time and I love it! You write just the way that you speak, which is awesome. You have also motivated me to get on board the healthy train. So, I'm with you in your quest for healthiness and I look forward to embarrassing Liam at his practices by power walking as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate the treadmill worse than any other form of exercise. BUT since you use the treadmill at the gym, why not use the one at home while A is napping?

    ReplyDelete