Friday, December 24, 2010

It Happened

I knew it would. I was just hoping to get a few more years out of the deal.

E and I agreed that we would perpetuate the horrid lie (sarcasm) of Santa Claus until the kidlets asked up point blank about his existence.

Well, S, my stepson, had been kinda beating around the bush about Santa. Asking the kind of hard hitting questions that make a parent think they might have a little Anderson Cooper or Rachel Maddow on their hands.

Then, on Wednesday, while I was at work, the question came. Only, it wasn't so much of a question as it was a statement of sorts.

"Santa doesn't exist, does he?"

If I had been in charge the conversation would have been as follows: The truth (you're right, he doesn't), followed by a discussion of St. Nicholas and his giving to others and how Santa is a way that we give in his honor and that other people like your friends and your sister still believe and if you tell them otherwise we will beat you within an inch of you life, k?*

However, I was not in charge. So the conversation went more like this: No, he doesn't.

Yeah, for all his long windedness that was the extent of the conversation.

So I asked him if he would humor his old stepmom, if for one more year we could put out the milk and cookies and pretend. Because, let's face it, A is still too young to get all this. And like the big-hearted little guy he is, he agreed.

I'm sad though, I was hoping to milk it for a couple of more years, so that for one magical Christmas, both of my children would still believe in Santa.

Oh well, such is life.

*People, this last statement is a joke, we will beat him within only 6 inches of his life.

1 comment:

  1. I asked right out when I was 7. I was a little let down but not surprised. I had been skeptical for some time since we didn't have a chimney, magic doesn't exist, no one can travel around the world that fast, what about people who don't celebrate Christmas, why does he forget the poor kids etc... My mom was sad when I asked for the truth, since I was still pretty young, but she told me. She said I ask too many questions :-P I started early on questioning authority I guess. Haha

    ReplyDelete