Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Twelve Week Appointment

So yesterday was my 12 week appointment with the midwife. Did I mention I was using a birthing center and not a doctor? Well, I am. I'll go into detail about my choice at a later date. But, onto the baby stuff.

We basically read the results of my blood work (everything normal) and she told me my blood type, O positive (universal donor).

My cystic fibrosis test came back negative. What?? Is this test normal?? Well, no. See Daddy Eric REALLY wanted an amnio just so we could prepare ourselves and our home for a special needs child if necessary. And Mama Deanna REALLY didn't want one because EW do you know where they stick that needle??? Oh, yeah, and neither of us has a family history of genetic disorders. So as a compromise we are having genetic tests run, specifically the aforementioned CF and a Down's Syndrome test that also tests for the Trisomy numbers which will happen at the week 16 appointment.

Oh, then I got to hear the baby's heartbeat. Or, what the midwife claimed was the heartbeat but really it just sounded like a tiny little thumping sound. A very cute, very strong tiny thumping sound. :)

Eric and I are also working on names. Any suggestions?

4 comments:

  1. I still like Kermit Kumquat. :-P Or you could name it Methany like you did in that dream I had about you right before your wedding. I think it was a sign. (haha) Also, I think wherever they stick you with needles that is caused by Eric's wish for the test, they should also stick him in the same spot (or as close as possible on the male anatomy), so he can have REAL sympathy pains. :-D When I was little, I refused to take any nasty medicines unless my mom took some 1st. NO WAY was I going to let her shove that crap down my throat w/o having a nice capfull herself. I plan to follow a similar plan if I ever get pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Floette if it's a girl, Ricky if it's a boy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, I am loving your blog. You are so funny!

    ReplyDelete