Sunday, May 17, 2009

Wow, seriously?!?

So Friday afternoon found me waiting in a therapist's office. No, not for myself. I was dropping off medical records for a child. Waiting with me was an older woman and her two kids and a really young couple (like maybe 20) and their tiny newborn. Here is the conversation that followed.

Older woman: He's so tiny, how much does he weigh?
Young woman: 7 pounds, he's a month old
OW: (nodding) preemie
YW: No, he was full term, he was 4 lbs when he was born. I smoked, thought I was fat so basically quit eating and I didn't take my prenatal vitamins.
Me: (in my head) WOW. You're admitting this in public to strangers?!?!? One of whom works for a government organization that can take that baby away??
OW: (nodding) Yeah, I smoked when I was pregnant with that one, she was 6 lbs.

Now, I know what you're thinking. I'm thinking it too. I forgot to take my prenatals ONE day a few weeks ago and I had to practically talk myself in from the ledge and remind myself that one day wasn't going to give my child a huge forehead or only 3 fingers on each hand. But no, the conversation goes on from there.

OW: Are you going to have another right away?
Young Man: She wants to, but I want to wait a while for me to get a job and stuff.
OW: Why? You should have another right away, that's what Medicaid is for. It's best when they're really close in age.

At this point I'm about to lose my "blank social worker stare" and be like, "Are you people serious?!?! You didn't take you prenatals, had a VERY low birth weight baby, and you think you're ready for another one??? Why don't I just take that one with me so you two can get started on the next one, huh?"

Which reminds me, I need to go take my vitamins.....

3 comments:

  1. Wow. I don't think there are words to express the stupidity of these people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there's a place in my heart that is fiscally conservative... NOT SOCIALLY.. but fisacally!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fiscal conservatism just naturally will meld into social conservatism as you find that if you have one you must have the other.

    ReplyDelete