Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Difference

Since S has another home that he also lives at, and also since E and S's mom get along (most of the time), we alternate who throws the party while the other get to come as a guest.*

This was our year. The last time it was our year A was a mere 2 months old and I hadn't even begun to think we'd survive to throw her a party, much less having thrown 2.

Lemme tell you, there is a significant difference between throwing a party for a 2 year old and throwing one for a 9 year old.

1. With the 9 year old, you have to secede creative control. S chose the menu, guest list, theme (football, natch), cake**, and activities. With A, I chose all of these.

2. Much less work involved in setting up a 9 year old's party. See, the Incorporated Swamp has these places where you can basically pay people to do everything. For a fee, all we had to do was show up with people, cake and presents.

3. On the down side, at these places, the food is worse. You know that old saying how sex is like pizza, even when it's bad it's good? Well, I can't speak for sex (nor will I in this forum), but I can say that bad pizza is Not Good.

4. People don't RSVP anymore. We sent out approximately 10 invites. We got 1 RSVP, a couple of hours before the party. Seriously. Yes, I'm aware that's more of a vent than anything else.

5. You have to have activities for these 9 year olds. Thankfully we threw money at the problem (please see number 2) but when we planned A's party, beyond the typical party stuff (cake, food, presents) it wasn't like we were busting a pinata or anything.

Honestly, I like both. I enjoyed spending 2 days in the kitchen prepping for A's party, but I also loved just showing up to S's. Let's just hope as they get older they don't end up both wanting to have an at-home cook everything party the same year! Ugh.




*As a shout-out to S's mom, when it's her year she also invites MY mom and step dad, aka Gigi and Papi. That's Very Cool (and also very rare).

**I gave him the choice to either get a store bought cake or have me make one, he chose the store bought one but told his mom that I made it. For some reason I find this hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment