Tuesday, November 30, 2010

When Grandmothers Get Nostalgic

Scary things happen.
Take this vintage Jack-in-the-Box. Circa 1971. Older than my husband (which is ANCIENT)! Seems, harmless, almost cute, right?
Here's another view. Other than the fact that Jack looks higher than a kite (which would be normal for the early 70's right?), looks completely harmless. Lets turn the handle....
All around the cobblers bench
The monkey chased the weasel
The monkey said 'twas all out of fun....

EEK!!! What in the name of all that is sacred is this THING! Just in case you missed the horror, here's another view...


Yeah. I'm pretty sure it told me it wants to eat your brains.



4 comments:

  1. Holy crap! Did she find that in some attic in a box labeled "stuff of Amy's childhood nightmares"?
    beyond creepy
    Amy Busby

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had one of those in the nursery at church when I was really little (obviously it was over a decade old at the time, since I'm not ancient :-D). I was never scared of the clowns, but I don't like being startled, so it wasn't my fave toy, just for the "pop" part. Now it looks diseased and creepy, but I never had any issue w/ clowns as a kid, unless they were actual people dressed as clowns. Then I was just a little uncertain about them, since I couldn't see who it was to know if they were someone I knew or a stranger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember a little girl who afraid of Elsie the cow. She thought smiling Elsie was preparing to bite her! Not all children are afraid of harmless images.

    ReplyDelete