Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Letters to Me

I've seen these all over the interwebz, and I think they're kinda cool. So I'm going to write the old me little advice letters.



Dear 9 year old me:

Please don't cry sweetie. I promise this is not the last B you will ever get, in math and other subjects (yes, even your beloved English). Mama and daddy will NOT kill you! It doesn't mean you're stupid or that you will never succeed in life. It's ok to not be perfect! Learn this lesson now, it will save you a lot of heartache in the future.



Dear 12 year old me:

Wow, your parents are divorcing. And you have to move for the second time in less than a year. That really sucks. But please think about your parents. It sucks for them too. And you'll learn that them being apart will make each of them much happier in the long run.

Oh, and tell your mom about the idiot counselor that tells you if you were a better Christian, you wouldn't be upset. She won't like that at all, in a good way. You've got some hard times headed your way, I'm not gonna lie. But keep your head up, lean on your friends, and this too shall pass.



Dear 14 year old me:

I know, she broke her promise and you're pissed. A stepdad AND moving halfway across the country. But this will be the best move yet (and the last one you have to make without your consent). You'll meet some amazing friends who will stand up for you when you get married (yeah, you'll get married, but I'm not telling you when). Your stepdad will actually turn out to be a pretty cool guy, but you won't realize it until you're much older. High school will turn out to be a blast, filled with hard times AND great times. Enjoy!



Dear 18 year old me:

You did it girl! High School Graduate!!! I know college seems scary but it will be full of fun and learning. Let your mom ride in the car with you on the way to school, it may seem annoying to you but it will mean a lot to her. Change your major ASAP, education is not for you.

Oh, and that guy you meet freshman year. When he graduates at the end of the year and moves out of state, that is the PERFECT time to break up. Trust me on this one.



Dear 24 year old me:

Oh, honey. You're about to make the biggest change in your life. Moving back to your home state to attend a graduate program you haven't even been accepted to yet. You're scared, and rightfully so. No, not because you will fail (I really wish you would stop thinking you're going to fail all the time). You'll succeed and you will surpass even your own expectations (let's just say your GPA will start with a 4).

No, you should be scared because in the next 4 years your life will change in dramatic ways you never even thought possible. That dream you have about joining the Peace Corps after graduate school and then moving to New Orleans? Not gonna happen. But the reality will be better than you ever imagined. And when you meet that tall, older man with a great sense of humor, go for it baby, it's the real thing.



Dear 27 year old me:

Yeah, the pee stick wasn't placed in backwards. You are pregnant. I know you think you're not ready, but honestly, I don't think anyone ever is! It will be difficult being pregnant and giving birth but when it's all over, you'll have this little ray of sunshine with a personality bigger than you or your husband ever dreamed. I should know, I'm looking at her right now.



I wonder what I'll have to say to the current me in another few years....

2 comments:

  1. Love this D!! - Makes me want to start a journal for my daughter to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had something to write to my old self, but I don't think I have much to say. It wouldn't be very comforting to 14-yr-old me to know that at 28 I'd be underpaid, living at home, and just as single as I was then. Man....now I'm depressed.

    ReplyDelete