She was exhausted. We both knew this. How? She was sucking her thumb, dragging her head on the ground while playing. And fussing while doing this.
So we performed our usual nap routine. Clean diaper, full bottle which may or may not get drank, grab "blankie" (E's Texas A&M fleece blanket), lay down with mama on the couch.
Only A decides she wants to play "Climb, Climb up Sunshine Mountain" instead of snuggle and go down for a nap. Meaning she'd much rather try to climb up the arm of the couch.
(Those of you not raised in the Southern Baptist Tradition may need to watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-s5ABOkk1Y, in order to understand the previous paragraph).
So I lay her down again. Only to wind up lathering, rinsing, and repeating. And getting frustrated.
So, I put her in her crib in order to give myself a break with the hopes that maybe, possibly, she might fall asleep on her own?
Only she starts crying. I have to go to the bathroom. My needs won (this time). When I got done, I checked on her. She was sitting down, crying in her crib. I let her be. Finally, the crying stopped. I checked to make sure she hadn't managed to jimmy the window open and make a run for it. She was laying down sleeping.
I looked at the clock thinking, "OMG, I totally just let her cry for HOURS until she exhausted herself. I'm the world's worst mother ever! She's going to turn into a serial killer!"
It had been 7 minutes since I put her down.
Will I try this again? Probably, if we're both feeling frustrated.
Will it work? Knowing my daughter? Nope.
No comments:
Post a Comment